Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fill up your cart!

Rainbow of fruits and vegetables

Every week I do the bulk of the grocery shopping and about mid-week pick up more produce.  I don't know what I like the most - buying it, looking at the rainbow of beautiful colors or eating every morsel of it!

red grapes, baby cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, squash, avocados, apples & more!

We eat a large variety of greens, fruits and vegetables daily, along with beans, legumes and a few nuts. 

rainbow chard, brussels sprouts, kale, radishes, beets and bananas...and more!

After shopping, I wash and dry all the produce (there's more in the garage fridge in line to be washed).  Once good and dry I put some into green produce saver bags and the rest into produce containers, then rotate what might be left in the fridge. 

We always have a variety of berries, which I usually split in half.  Meaning I put some in the freezer and the rest in the fridge.  I typically wait until berries go on sale and then stock up.  Freezing them is much more economical than buying the little frozen bags of fruit at the store - and much tastier.  Mangos are great that way too.  Mmmmm...love mangos!

hanging produce basket
What doesn't go in the fridge I put in my hanging basket and on my handy dandy movable island cabinet.  Once the bananas are ripe, I peel and put them into a freezer ziplock bag for our green smoothies, "ice cream" or other yumminess .  We go through a LOT of bananas.  And yes, there is some in the freezer besides what you see here.


Raw Food - oh so good!
I actually stood on a step stool to take this pic.  If I had everything washed at once, I would need to take a panographic view!  Actually, I would need a longer counter!

Hope I tempted you to raid your fridge or counter for some delicious produce.  If you don't have any on hand, well just hop in the car (or bike, or skate or walk...), go directly to your nearest market and fill up your cart.

Peace,
Rocki

No comments: