Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Raw Vegan Chocolate Nutty Balls

Raw Vegan Chocolate Nutty Balls
 
Last week I was seriously craving a chocolate nutty treat, like a Reese's Cup or Pieces, but a healthy version.  I used to treat myself to those yeeeeeeears ago, but I don't eat that way anymore. 
 
Anyway, so I went into the kitchen, grabbed a few items that sounded good and whipped up a little batch of these Chocolate Nutty Balls.  The texture is like a chewy brownie and the taste is definitely chocolate with nut butter satisfaction.  I was very happy with the end result and so was my tummy! 
 
While I did remember to write everything down, I didn't take photos of the process.  At that time I didn't know I would be sharing them, let alone how they would even turn out.  
 
Chewy yummy treat!

I don't recall exactly how many balls of goodness the recipe made since I didn't know that I would be writing about them, but it did make quite a few - couple dozen perhaps?  I also gave some to Mark to take to work to share.  I'll be making them again, so I will probably update this recipe post.  Oh and I use raw organic ingredients whenever possible, but feel free to adjust to your liking.

Since I don't have any other pictures to ramble on about, I'll go straight to my recipe.
 
 
Raw Vegan Chocolate Nutty Balls

1 1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans

3 1/2 TBS raw cacao
1/3 cup raw hemp seed

1 1/4 cup packed medjool dates (seeds removed)

1/4 cup almond butter (or just use all peanut butter)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 TBS raw agave
1 tsp organic vanilla

raw hemp seed (or other topping of choice)

In a food processor:
- add the nuts and process until they are small crums, but do not over process
- pulse in the cacao and hemp seed to combine
- and the medjool dates and process until well combined
- add the remaining ingredients and process until combined - you may have to scrape down the sides during this process.  If your processor can't handle the mixture, hand mix in the last set of ingredients in a bowl.

Pour some hemp seed or other topping of choice onto a plate or small bowl and set aside.

To make the balls, I use one of those fun cookie ball scoops with the rubber backing.  However, you can also use a spoon to make the balls with to the desired size.

After all the balls are made, simply roll them in the hemp seed to coat.  I recommend popping one of these warm delicious treats into your mouth, close your eyes, feel the ocean breeze, the sand in your toes, and... oh sorry, I lost myself there ;) 

These can be eaten right away, but once chilled they're even better.  Store in a container in the fridge or freezer... if they last that long.

Peace and enjoy!
Rocki

No comments: