Thursday, April 4, 2013

Raw Vegan Chewy Fruit Bars

Raw Vegan Chewy Fruit Bars
I made a second batch of my yummy fruit bars and this time I measured as I went (pats self on back).  I have a bad habit of not measuring while preparing food.  I'm a "add a little of this, a little of that..." type of person, but trying very hard to remember to write it down as I go.

So today I thought I would share my simple and easy recipe for my healthy Raw Vegan Chewy Fruit Bars.  You really can't go wrong with these delicious little bites.  In fact, you could change some of the dried fruit ingredients to your liking, if you so wish.  The entire recipe is at the end.

After processing
Above is after processing all the ingredients into little crumbles and bits. 

Pressed down into dish
I used a 6x8 glass dish lined with plastic wrap, which makes it much easier to remove and cut into bites.  I meant to take a pic after putting the mixture into the dish to show how full to the brim it was before I pressed it down, but I was eager to get it into the fridge and take a bite...or two. 

Little bites of yummy goodness
I've been experimenting with food a lot lately and enjoying every minute of it.  I still look for inspiration and enjoy other raw recipes, but am super happy when I create something myself!  And I'm quite pleased with how my own recipe for these satisfying treats turned out.

Raw Vegan Chewy Fruit Bars

1 cup raw cashews
1 1/4 cup variety of dates, stones removed (I used Medjool and Honey Dates)
3-4 dried figs, stem removed
1 cup dried apricots (a very full rounded cup)
1/2 rounded cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup Hemp Seed
1 Tbsp Agave

Put all ingredients in order into a food processor - it will be full.  Pulse a few times to get it going and then process until mixture is crumbly bits.  You may need to stop and start a few times to scrape down the sides or move it around.  The mixture will be crumbly.  Take a little bit of it into your hand and form it into a ball.  If it holds together, you're good to go.  Now pop that little ball into your mouth and enjoy!

Line an 6x8 glass dish, or size pan of your choice, with plastic wrap.  I leave plenty of overhang to cover it back up when done and to lift out.  Put the mixture into the dish - it will be very full.  Use your hands with plastic wrap and press down firmly on the mixture.  Resist the temptation to devour at that moment.  Lick the processor bowl if you must.  Cover the dish and put it in the fridge for about an hour or two.

Remove from fridge.  With the overhanging plastic wrap, lift the soon to be bars out of the dish and place onto a cutting board.  I use a pizza cutter because it's quick and easy, but use whatever you want to cut it into chunky bite size pieces or into larger bars.  Store remaining bars in the fridge.  I'm not sure how long they will keep as they aren't in our fridge very long ;)  They can also be stored in an air tight container in the freezer for longer storage.

Peace
Raw Rocki :)

No comments: