Monday, August 17, 2009

Today's Whale Watching Cruise

Another sort of quickie post of today's vacation events:

Above is the boat we went on for the 3 1/2 hour whale watching tour. Notice the name of it? It is my youngest brother's name (who lives in Arizona as well). Chris is the one who suggested we go on a whale watching cruise as this is the season for it and lots of whales are seen daily. There are many of these tours around, but how ironic that the one we called happened to have one of their boats named "The Christopher" - too funny!

Okay, not that funny I guess as our 3 1/2 hour cruise was cut down to about an hour due to one of the two engines died about an hour into the trip, but it was still very enjoyable. Plus they did issue us a free pass - so we will be going another day this week - probably Wednesday as tomorrow is Knotts!

Oh yes, we did get to see one small whale called a Minke - about a 20 footer. How did we spot the whale? Whale... er, I mean well, here's the story... The captain explained a few things and one of them was that if you spot a whale then you point and holler "THERE SHE BLOWS" and the direction (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.) Who was going to be the silly one to holler "THERE SHE BLOWS?" Whale, I mean well - that would be me!

Yep. I was looking off into another direction while everyone else was looking some place else. And there it was. I was a little hesitant at first - in case I was seeing things, but then when it popped up again off I sounded "THERE SHE BLOWS 9 O'CLOCK!" I kind of felt like a celebrity afterwards, but no autographs were given out.

Whale, I mean WELL... time to get some shut eye as tomorrow is another fun filled day. We're having a blast and now thinking about a bigger cruise to take on our next vacation.

Have a whale of a day,
Rocki

1 comment:

Rosebud Collection said...

Love whales too..What a fun time. Just to see one whale is a gift to me.