Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On Grizzly Mountain

I have met some of the most amazing talented people while blogging that it truly excites me.

If you would have asked me a year ago what a "tatting shuttle" was, I would have looked at you with a blank look on my face and say "a what?" Now I may not be a scholar on the subject, but I do know what it is now, and let me just say that Dave, of Grizzly Mountain Arts, creates the most BEAUtiful shuttles I've come across!

Dave creates more than gorgeous shuttles, he makes Niddy Noddies and a vast variety of other tools and carvings. Each time I visit Grizzly Mountain Arts blog, I'm like a little kid waiting to see what Santa brought because both Dave & Jo are talented beyond belief. I don't think there is anything Dave CAN'T do.Who is Dave? He is part of the talent on Grizzly Mountain - here is a quote from their profile: "Dave took up the whaler's art of scrimshaw while aboard ship during the Viet Nam War. He has a degree in wildlife ecology and worked over 25 years in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as a wildlife law enforcement officer and wildlife refuge manager. He retired in 2002 and now lives on Grizzly Mountain in central Oregon where he still pursues his art. Whales have been protected since 1972 and Dave continues this historic maritime art by scrimshawing on ancient ivory from walrus and mammoth tusks, bone or imitation ivory."

Who's Jo? Another quote, "she is a classically trained flutist who pretends to be an artist at times. She enjoys working with clay, wood and the computer." Jo pretty much, from what I gather, is the backbone for their websites (correct me if I'm wrong Jo!). Plus she is a very fine artist, pretend or not.

These are some of Jo's handmade earthenware clay pendants.
You can find both of their finished work at Grizzly Mountain Arts and their organic and primitive supplies at Grizzly Mountain Cache, but check out their blog for all locations where you can find their work.

I enjoy chatting with Jo, plus they live in Oregon. My oldest son Jeremy lives in Oregon. Maybe next time I'm up that way I can stop by and we can chat in person!

Oh and I do believe Dave does dishes & windows, but Jo can correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Happy day!

Rocki

8 comments:

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

Rocki, Thank you SO much for writing such a wonderful feature on our Etsy shop! We appreciate it sooooo much! And since I believe one good deed deserves another, I have written a little something about you in return :) The next time you're going to be in Portland, we will definitely have to get together!

Thanks again, Rocki! You Rock! :)

Angie Kelly Designs said...

My friend! I hope your weekend went "swimmingly" :) What a wonderful write up. I wouldn't have found them otherwise, so thanks for that! Great job :) Have a good one; we're glad you're back!!
~Angie~

Rosebud Collection said...

I have seen some of their work..Beautiful..It is amazing, scrimshaw is almost, to me, a lost art..Wonderful write up for them..

Unknown said...

Tatting shuttle -- my grandmother had one but it was no where as pretty as that one! I checked out GMA and hearted their shop -- it's awesome! Thanks for introducing us to another wonderful etsian :)

Anonymous said...

What talented artist you find Rocki, just gorgeous work!! Thanks so much for introducing us to them!

Rocki Adams said...

Jo, you are SO very welcome! Thank you for the spootlight as well - YOU rock!

Rocki Adams said...

Thank you all for checking out Grizzly Mountain Arts - they are fabulous, aren't they?!

Beat Black said...

yes they are! I've seen their work before and it blows me away. Always leaves me thinking "how the heck do you do that so perfectly?!"