Friday, January 4, 2008

Metal Hands

Do you remember those Madge "You're soaking in it" commercials? Well, if not, no biggie as you'll understand all the same.
Prior to the holidays I took a metalsmithing class, instructed by the very talented Holly Carter. I cannot tell you how excited I was to finally learn a new medium to add to my ever growing "I want to learn..." list. Torching, sawing, pickling, filing, measuring... Funny, but of all the techniques I learned and information I absorbed, I recall one of the comments Holly made about my long natural nails - it was something like "oh Rocki, you won't have those very much longer" (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little :).

I knew she was right and so I filed them down - halfway. Guess I should have gone a little further as now I practically have no nails, but oh well, I'm making lots of cool creations!

Okay, so now we come to the "You're soaking in it" bit... I'll be the first to admit that I do not (nor have I EVER) have model hands. You know, the nice, smooth, silky, not an age blot, freckle or blemish type of hands. I have your run of the mill working hands. That is why you'll never see me modeling my rings and such in my shop. My hands age me, more than my true age. Anyway, what I'm getting at is although I absolutely LOVE my metal and wire work, my hands look like a crime scene!

Will I stop playing with my torch, saw, files, metal, etc? Nope! I'm having WAY too much fun to care about what my hands look like!

Got lotion?
Rocki

No comments: