Monday, February 3, 2014

Pizza Night! Raw, Vegan and Gluten-Free

My Mandala Pizza :)

One thing I love to make is my raw vegan pizza... nom nom nom!  That's right... raw vegan pizza.  Follow me and I'll tell you about it.

Pizza crust

Above is my own tasty recipe for the crust, which is not only raw and vegan, but also gluten and nut free.

Pizza with lots of veggies

I like to change up my pizza each time I make it, from a variety of toppings, sauce or no sauce and cheese.  Yes, that's right... raw vegan cheese.  Stay with me now and I'll give you the recipe soon.

Mandala Veggie Pizza

I know my pictures are not the best, but heck, I just love how this one looks so have to share another view of it.

Back in the dehydrator

After I put all the ingredients onto the crust I then popped it back into the dehydrator for about an hour.  This gives the cheese time to settle in with the ingredients and makes the house smell yummy!

Fresh sliced pizza

If you think us raw vegans only eat bunny food, take a look at this scrumptious pizza.  However, we do still love our bunny food :)

Raw Vegan Pizza!

And now it's time to eat!  As you can see, the crust holds up nicely and is quite filling.  We had a small side salad with a couple little slices and... okay, well not so little... and we were full.

That's the end of my pizza tour and now it's time for the recipes for my crust and cheese.

Raw Rocki's Pizza Crust

1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (ground into little bits like flour)
1/2 flax seeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 1/2 TBS psyllium husk
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp sea salt

Combine all the above ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

1/3 cup sundried tomatoes - soaked in 1 cup warm water for about 30 minutes (drain and reserve liquid as you'll need it in the next step)
1 large tomato
1/2 red bell pepper
1 tsp garlic powder or clove
1 tsp fennel seeds
pinch sea salt

Put ingredients into a food processor and process well.  The mixture will be somewhat thick and not watery.

Add 3/4 cup of the soaked water to the dry mixture bowl and combine well.  Now add the above tomato mixture to the bowl and stir until combined. 

Line a dehydrator mesh tray with a teflex sheet (or similar) and spoon the mixture onto it.  I put another teflex sheet on top of the mixture then use a rolling pin and my hands to form into a big round pizza crust shape.  You can also make a big square pizza too, I do that sometimes.

Put into the dehydrator at 145 degrees for 1 hour only then turn down to 115 degrees for about another 3-4 hours.  Total time can vary between 4-5 hours or longer depending on a variety of factors.  Mine took about 4 1/2 hours this time.  *When the top crust is dry to touch, transfer it to another mesh sheet tray and remove it from the teflex sheet by slowly peeling it off.  Put it back in for about 1/2 hour and then flip back over until done. 

When the crust is done, top with your favorite ingredients and either put it back into the dehydrator for about an hour or eat right away and enjoy!

**************************

Before I get to the cheese recipe, just want to mention that yes, all the ingredients are raw even the mushrooms.  We like the mushrooms to take on a little bit of "cooked" texture so I wilt them slightly by using a tiny bit of liquid amino acid like Braggs.


Raw Rocki's Pizza Cheese

1 cup cashews - soaked for at least 2 hours then rinse and drain
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 yellow bell pepper
1 clove garlic
3 TBS heaping of nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 TBS raw apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs Organic)
*1/4 cup water (can adjust texture by decreasing or increasing water for a thicker or thinner cheese)

Combine all ingredients into vitamix/blender and blend until smooth and creamy.  This makes much more than what you need for the pizza crust, but I always make this size batch because Mark likes to use it as a snack dip for his veggies, etc.

Hope you enjoy these recipes and feel free to change them up as you need to.

Peace,
Rocki

*2/4/14 Updated:  I left off a couple things so have made the notes here *

2 comments:

Sam and her lizards said...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME as always!! You are THE ROCKIN' RAW CHEF!!! Thank you so much for the recipe, Deb. You make eating healthy -- and raw -- so tasty!

Rocki Adams said...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! :)