Friday, July 27, 2012

Quail Diner - Reservations Not Required

Table for two please
This year we have even more Gambel's Quail families than all the years before.  I'm guessing it is because there is more food, since I added several bird feeders, baths and drinking stations throughout the yard.  Mark lovingly calls our backyard "Rocki's Resort" because of the variety of birds that visit - sometimes it's like an all you can eat buffet that went wild.

Dad, baby and mom looking for an open table
 Most of the pictures I take are from inside the house and through sunscreens, so please pardon the unprofessional look of them.  The one above is from my dining room window, which is my favorite spot to watch all the birds, especially the quail as they are my favorite!
  
The babies are learning to eat on their own
Watching the baby quail and other birds grow has been the most exciting part of my summer.  Okay, there's more excitement than that going on, but I seriously enjoy watching and identifying birds.

So how do you think he got up there?
The topknot on their heads are starting to show and they look SO cute!  I just want to pick them up and cuddle them! 

Mom and babies hiding from the rain
We have the Gambel's Quail throughout our state and it isn't uncommon to see them in neighboring front or backyards.  But every time I see these adorable birds, it's like the first time!  They, along with the other birds, simply make me smile and enjoy my little sanctuary - my Rocki's Resort.

Happy Birding!
Peace,
Rocki

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have loved Quail ever since I was a kid and saw this cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf3Oy3YG2o

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Quail!! How cool. I have only seen them at the 4-H fair.
xx, Carol

Rocki Adams said...

Thank you Stephanie, me too! I can't link to the video, but thanks for sharing :)

Thank you Carol :) We have several quail families here and I just love them to pieces!