Monday, April 13, 2009

Beautiful & Functional Handmade Stoneware

I don't even know where to begin with this feature, mainly because I'm still in awe of his work. In fact, it took me forever just to select the pictures from his shop that I wanted to use as he has so many beautiful pieces to choose from. Like the Garlic Baker above, which seems to be a hot item and just one of several designs. He even includes a recipe in the listing. Yum.

Doug Smith is a full-time potter. He obviously knows his craft business well as his work definitely proves it. I came across Doug's shop over the weekend when I spotted him in a front page Treasury. I love stoneware, especially handmade, so I immediately went to his shop. I was floored, to say the least. The colors, designs, variety - so beautiful.


There are bowls, platters and plates. Cups, mugs and ladles. Honey jars, butter dishes and flower vases. Trust me, there's more. Like the Garlic Keeper below, which I bought and can hardly wait to put my garlic in. Don't worry, it wasn't the last one :)

Doug works from his home studio which is out in the country near Asheville, NC where he lives with his wife, Maria and young son, Clay (hmm, "Clay"... wonder where he got that name from?)

You must read his Profile as it is very interesting and well written. Here is a snippet: "This obsession with clay and glazes snuck up on me about ten years ago while I was busy making other plans with my life." And this is from his Shop Announcement: "I use white clay because, like a painter's canvas, it brings out the very best colors from my glazes. I mix my own glazes because the hue and visual texture of a glaze are so important and because I want to be sure my glazes are lab-certified safe for food."

There is so much more that I could say about Doug Smith's work, such as it is not only beautiful , creative and functional, but it is extremely affordable. I would much rather purchase my stoneware from a fellow artist than a store bought piece.

It's like owning a piece of art.
Rocki

12 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love it when you post about other etsy shops. I don't have much time to wander around Etsy, so thank you. I have bought from several that you have showcased and have been extremely happy with the service and products.

I love stoneware with a passion, but hand made by an artisan.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGOSH, I had to run right back here! Years ago my daughter bought me a stoneware birdhouse. Since I am BIRDS AND BEADS everywhere, you know how special it is. I could never find another one and Doug has one in his shop. Beautiful and Blue!!

Thanks again, Rocki

esque said...

Wonderful feature! He is truly a gifted potter!

[inkihandmade.blogspot.com]

My Shining Lights said...

I love the pottery! My daughter's kiln is now working and it has been so much fun seeing something go into it with no color and come out transformed! His pottery is quite wonderful and my daughter's dream to some day be able to do this.

Catherine said...

His pottery really is gorgeous. I particularly love the pansy ring and the reason behind it!! Unfortunately he doesn't ship to the UK. :( Still, I can always go and admire his shop, especially that pansy ring!!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

My oh my, what beautiful pottery! Thanks sharing this wonderful artisan with us! Annnnd - thanks for comment on my blog - it was so nice to hear from you - and to reconnect!

thatsoaplady said...

Oh! I love pottery! Its a weakness of mine... right up there with jewlery.

thatsoaplady said...

Btw Rocki, Love your updated look :)I always enjoy reading your blog

Kathryn V. Crabbe said...

Wonderful...I LOVE his colors, nothing beats stoneware in my opinion...made from the heart :)

Rosebud Collection said...

What beautiful work..Isn't is amazing what people can do? I use to paint for a pottery maker. Very interesting work. Have a great weekend.

pam ferrari said...

Thanks for sharing, I stop by his shop and pick up a cute flower vase. Can't wait to see it.

Aquarian Bath said...

awesome glazes.